Faux Oak stage 1


To begin the process of graining oak, I like to start with an appropriate base coat. This color usually is dictated by the over all color of the actual peice I am matching and can vary from project to project. Generally though a creamy yellowish color can work out just fine. You have to do some testing with your glazes and base coat before you begin.

Once your base coat is applied (in this case I used an alkyd enamel brushed on) you are ready to start the graining process. My method for this particular type of oak grain is to flog on the grain fleck found in oak. I use a medium transparent glaze (usually oil to give me some "open" time) and flog out the panels one by one taping off each panel separately in order to achieve as much realism as possible as well as the authenticity of an actual oak door. Flog in the direction of the proposed grain as well as hold the flogger loosely between your index and thumb, letting the end of the handle bounce off the palm of your hand. More on flogging and other techniques will be posted on one of my other web sites. As you can see in this photo to the left I began with the center panels and on day two did the adjacent panels.

To see the next step
and the door with the
full grain pattern GO HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment